Referees Spring 2019
We’re looking forward to the Spring 2019 PCSL season!
Beginning with the Spring 2018 season, PCSL began asking all referees to complete the Grade 9 referee certification course to become certified by the Illinois Soccer Referee Committee as a Grade 9 referee. We have had 2 classes, March 2018 and August 2018, and are offering another class this March prior to the Spring 2019 season.
The course will earn you a Grade 9 certification (recreational) from the Illinois Soccer Referee Committee (ISRC). This will certify you to officiate recreational games as a Center Referee for PCSL. As an added bonus, it also certifies you to serve as Assistant Referees (AR’s) for Competitive US Soccer affiliated matches for U-11 to U-14 if you choose to do so.
Grade 9 certification is good for 1 year. To keep it valid, you must renew/re-certify or upgrade each year. Those who completed the course and received their Grade 9 certification in March 2018, will need to re-certify to stay current. Those who are new to refereeing, must complete this course prior to being able to referee PCSL games. If you are new to PCSL and already have a current Grade 9 or higher certification, you will only need to provide us documentation that indicates that.
Although, PCSL requires all referees to be Grade 9 certified, once you receive your Grade 9 certification, we will allow an every other year renewal. If you choose not to recertify yearly, you will still be able to referee PCSL games, but the pay rate will be the non-certified/not current rate (see PCSL pay rate schedule below). In addition, if you do not have a current certification, you will not be able to referee other sanctioned matches (non-PCSL matches).
The Grade 9 certification class for new referees and referees needing to renew their certification will be held on Sunday, March 10 from 9am-5pm. It will be held at Integrity Technology Solutions in their Learning and Collaboration Center which is located at 816 South Eldorado Road, Bloomington, IL 61704. The entrance to the Learning and Collaboration Center is to the right (West) of the main entrance. There will be a break for lunch, which will be provided by PCSL.
PCSL will cover the entire cost ($20 class fee and $40 United State Soccer Federation membership fee) for all new referees taking the class for the 1st time and will provide each certified referee with a shirt, whistle and other necessary equipment.
For referees who are renewing their Grade 9 certification, PCSL will cover the class fee of $20, but each referee will be responsible for their USSF membership fee ($40, which will be due and submitted on the day of training).
Sign up is required for the Grade 9 certification class. The deadline to sign up is Monday, March 4 as we will need to get a final count of participants to the ISRC Committee so they can prepare materials. To sign up, click here: Register for the Grade 9 Certification Class
In addition to the training, there are a few more requirements you must complete:
- Complete the US Soccer Federation Referee (USSF) Registration Form and bring with you to the class on March 10.
* New referees, complete Step 1 & Step 4 only on the US Soccer Federation Registration Form.
* Referee who are re-certifying, complete Steps 1, 3 & 4 on the US Soccer Federation Registration Form. Also, bring a check made out to the US Soccer Federation for the membership fee of $40.
- Complete & turn in 2 copies of the Illinois Youth Soccer Association Emergency Medical Release & Liability Waiver on the day of the training or to the PCSL office by Friday, March 22.
- Register as a Referee in TeamSnap. If you refereed this past Fall 2018 season, you have already completed this requirement. *Only those new to refereeing or did not referee in the Fall 2018 season should complete this registration. To register, go here > Referee for Fall 2018/Spring 2019.
- Complete & turn in the AVAILABILITY FORM-Spring 2019 to the PCSL office by Friday, March 22.
Required forms for Spring 2019:
Illinois Youth Soccer Association Emergency Medical Release and Liability Waiver *if submitted in the Fall 2018, you will not need to submit again for Spring 2019
Important info. & links for Referees - Spring 2019:
Referees Fall 2019 / Spring 2020 Season
- Be a current Grade 9 certified referee or obtain a Grade 9 certification. (Class info. will be announced as we get closer to the Fall 2019 season)
- Complete & turn in 2 copies of the Illinois Youth Soccer Association Emergency Medical Release & Liability Waiver to the PCSL office prior to posted deadlines for Fall (to be announced)
- Register as a Referee in TeamSnap for the Fall 2019/Spring 2020 season.. To register, go here > Referee for Fall 2019/Spring 2020.
- Complete & turn in the AVAILABILITY FORM-Fall 2019 (not yet available) to the PCSL office prior to posted deadlines for Fall (to be announced)
Please do not call the PCSL office on rainy, overcast or cold days to inquire about cancellation of league games. We do not cancel merely because it's raining.
Games are played except when the following conditions exist:
- Any signs of lightning
- An issued Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- An issued Tornado Watch or Warning
- Severe Cold Temperature
- Any other severe weather condition the PCSL Board of Directors considers would endanger our players or volunteers.
Announcements of league cancellations will be announced on the PCSL's website, Twitter account, Facebook page, through email (if timing permits) and WJBC radio (1230 AM) & website, by 7:30am on game days.
Often times, a severe storm will roll in mid-way through the day. For Game time cancellation decisions, as soon as possible, the website, Twitter & Facebook will be updated, league emails will be sent (if timing permits) and WJBC notified. We rely on coaches to help spread the word to their team parents.